Click here to sign up for future class announcements! Classes can customized for your special group of family, friends, or team building. Email for more information.
Gentle guidance to follow your heart, reconnect with your voice and clarify intentions. In the style of journaling and expressive writing, we write by hand, pen on paper, in response to prompts
To set the structure for the class, I created this contract. Most items apply well to life also!
Write Your Life with Dean Adams – Class Contract ©
I, _____________________________________________, on this ______ day of _____________, 20__, do bravely enter into this agreement, with myself, to treat myself to the soul-filling creative experience of a writing workshop.
1. While in class I will honor my intentions of writing by turning off my cell phone. I will not check email, or social media or text messages or voice mail. Nothing is more important than writing during the workshop.
2. I agree to keep my pen moving during all timed exercises, even if I completely run out of things to say, because if I stop writing I might start judging and editing.
- I will feel free to write absolute drivel, or “I have nothing to say.” Over and over. I will write whatever I am thinking even if it’s “I don’t know what to write…”or I don’t want to be here…”
- If feeling stuck, I will boldly attempt to jump start my writing by beginning sentences with: “I remember… I don’t remember… I want to write about… I don’t want to write about…”
3. Without hesitation I will write my first thoughts even if they’re not neat and tidy. These ideas are uncensored, sincere and usually things I really need to write out of my head and onto paper.
4. At no point will I bother with such trivial matters as grammar, punctuation or spelling. I will let go of such ridiculous worries as likes and views, sell-ability, or old traumas such as grades, red pens, permanent records and concerned phone calls to my parents. I will write 100% for myself, not at all concerned for anyone else’s opinion or to entertain or impress anyone else.
5. Should I ever decide to, I’ll “pass” on reading out loud without scorn from my classmates or shame from myself.
6. I absolutely, positively, swear I will not apologize before reading my writing out loud.
- This includes masked apologies such as “It’s really not very good,” or “I’m not a good writer, but I’ll read anyway.”
- I will honor the class motto of “Never say you’re sorry.”
7. Upon receiving a compliment I will graciously accept it without one iota of deferral, and I will take at least one entire moment to bask in the pleasure of receiving praise.
8. No matter what topic is suggested I will always be true to my heart and mind and follow my pen where it leads me.
9. I will help create and honor this class as a “judgment-free, safe psychic space” which means it is free of emotional and mental abuse. Every effort is made to minimize, address and correct systemic biases in race, gender, ability and other biases.
10. Simply by being present I commit to honoring other’s privacy. What happens in class stays in class.
11. My mind will remain open to experiences and beliefs different than mine.
12. In all ways I will be kind, encouraging and supportive to others and to myself. This includes giving or receiving applause after writing and/or reading aloud.
By signing below, I agree to the above, so I, and those gathered with me, might find great joy in writing, creating, exploring and playing.
Name and Date